- 1 Which presidents did not attend the inauguration?
- 2 Who performed at Barack Obama’s inauguration?
- 3 Did Nixon attend Ford’s inauguration?
- 4 Which president walked to his inauguration?
- 5 Which presidents did not go to college?
- 6 Which president gave the shortest inaugural address?
- 7 Who was the president before Obama?
- 8 What was Obama inaugural speech about?
- 9 Who performed at Jimmy Carter’s inauguration?
- 10 Who was vice president before Nelson Rockefeller?
- 11 How many terms did President Ford do?
- 12 What date is president sworn in?
- 13 Which president did not use the Bible to take the oath of office?
- 14 Who had to escape through a window because of drunkards at his own party?
- 15 How many inaugural balls did Obama have?
Which presidents did not attend the inauguration?
While most outgoing presidents have appeared on the inaugural platform with their successor, six did not:
- John Adams left Washington rather than attend the 1801 inauguration of Thomas Jefferson.
- John Quincy Adams also left town, unwilling to be present for the 1829 inauguration of Andrew Jackson.
Who performed at Barack Obama’s inauguration?
|Performer(s) / Speaker(s)||Act|
|Barack Obama||Speech: Voices Calling for Change|
|Pete Seeger, Bruce Springsteen, Tao Rodríguez-Seeger, and Inaugural Celebration Chorus||“This Land Is Your Land” by Woody Guthrie|
|Beyoncé and entire ensemble||“America the Beautiful” by Katharine Lee Bates and Samuel A. Ward|
Did Nixon attend Ford’s inauguration?
East Room, White House, Washington, D.C. The inauguration of Gerald Ford as the 38th President of the United States was held on Friday, August 9, 1974, in the East Room of the White House in Washington, D.C., after Richard Nixon, the 37th President, resigned due to the Watergate scandal.
Which president walked to his inauguration?
In 1881, a single military division escorted President-elect Garfield to the Capitol, and the full parade occurred after the Inauguration. Although most presidents rode to their Inaugurations in a carriage (or later, an automobile), Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson both walked to their Swearing-In Ceremonies.
Which presidents did not go to college?
There are 9 presidents that never attended college whatsoever, including George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Grover Cleveland, and Harry Truman.
Which president gave the shortest inaugural address?
George Washington’s second inaugural address remains the shortest ever delivered, at just 135 words.
Who was the president before Obama?
|41||George H. W. Bush||Federal office|
|43||George W. Bush||Military|
What was Obama inaugural speech about?
The central theme of President Obama’s inaugural address was a call to restore responsibility—both in terms of accountability in Washington and the responsibility of ordinary people to get involved. Obama’s address did not have memorable sound bite phrases.
Who performed at Jimmy Carter’s inauguration?
Songs performed at Carter’s inauguration included Willie Nelson’s “Crazy,” sung by Linda Ronstadt; Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America,” sung by Aretha Franklin; “Take Care of This House” from the Broadway musical 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by Leonard Bernstein and Alan Jay Lerner, performed by Frederica von Stade and the
Who was vice president before Nelson Rockefeller?
|In office January 1, 1959 – December 18, 1973|
|Preceded by||W. Averell Harriman|
|Succeeded by||Malcolm Wilson|
How many terms did President Ford do?
Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. (/ˈdʒɛrəld/; born Leslie Lynch King Jr.; July 14, 1913 – December 26, 2006) was an American politician who served as the 38th president of the United States from 1974 to 1977.
What date is president sworn in?
The 20th amendment to the Constitution specifies that the term of each elected President of the United States begins at noon on January 20 of the year following the election.
Which president did not use the Bible to take the oath of office?
Theodore Roosevelt did not use the Bible when taking the oath in 1901, nor did John Quincy Adams, who swore on a book of law, with the intention that he was swearing on the constitution.
Who had to escape through a window because of drunkards at his own party?
As one Washington socialite described it: “Ladies fainted, men were seen with bloody noses and such a scene of confusion took place as is impossible to describe.” Jackson himself was forced to escape the mayhem by jumping through a window.
How many inaugural balls did Obama have?
For the 2009 inauguration of Barack Obama, 10 official and 121 unofficial inaugural balls were held.